Lengua in Mushroom Sauce takes a few hours to cook, but is so worth the wait! With velvety-soft ox tongue and creamy mushroom sauce, it’s sure to be a crowd favorite. Serve with steamed rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles for a fantastic special occasion or everyday dinner meal!
I wish G would be a bit more adventurous and try it at least once. He’d be pleasantly surprised how far more succulent and flavorful tongue is than any other beef parts. Add its melt-in-your-mouth tenderness with a creamy mushroom sauce, I am sure he’d be a convert!
Lengua in mushroom sauce ingredients
- Tongue – you can use beef or pork tongue
- Beef broth – reserved from pre-cooking the lengua
- Mushrooms – canned or fresh button mushrooms
- Butter – you can substitute canola oil, but butter adds flavor
- Cream of mushroom soup – reconstitute with the reserved broth or milk for extra creaminess
How long to cook lengua
Tongue is an easy and versatile ingredient, but it does require considerable time to cook. It should feel soft to touch and tender enough to pierce with a knife with little or no resistance.
Allow 3 to 4 hours for a reasonable 3-pound size or approximately 50 to 60 minutes per pound. You can also use Instant Pot to cut down the time involved, and it usually takes about 60 minutes of pressure cooking.
- Allow the cooked tongue to cool to touch and peel before it’s completely cooled. The skin is easier to pull off while still warm. If the tongue is cold, a vegetable peeler is the best tool to shave off the skin cleanly and without a lot of waste.
- While it’s easier to peel while slightly warm, it’s easier to cut into neater slices when chilled. After peeling, refrigerate for about 1 to 2 hours until completely cooled.
- For a richer sauce, decrease the broth to 1 ½ cups, add table cream (Nestle’s all-purpose cream) during the last 5 minutes of cook time, and simmer until heated.
Lengua is usually served for special occasions due to the long cook time but with proper meal planning, you can enjoy this delicious meat for everyday family dinners, too.
You can simmer it one or two days ahead to tenderize and prepare it according to your favorite recipes such as this beef tongue with creamy mushroom gravy and estofado the next day. You can also buy a larger piece good for a couple of meals and store unused portions in an airtight container for future use. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.