Chinese Chicken Salad is the mother of all salads! Chock full of lettuce, carrots, edamame, poached chicken, and crisp wonton strips in a sweet and tangy Asian-inspired dressing, it’s like a party in your mouth! It’s a great side dish or light meal the whole family will love.
I love to cook and enjoy putting delicious meals together but come Summertime, the kitchen is my least favorite place to be. Who wants to be tied to a burning stove in 100 F weather, right?
So when temperatures start to crank up, I swap our more elaborate dinners for simple salads and sandwiches at home which are a welcomed change of fare. They’re quick and easy to prep and are also loaded with fresh flavors and good-for-you nutrients.
This Chinese Chicken Salad, for example, takes less than 30 minutes to make yet tastes like you slaved in the kitchen for hours. Chock full of lettuce, carrots, edamame, poached chicken, and crisp wonton strips in a sweet and tangy Asian-inspired dressing, every bite is like a party in your mouth!
Chinese salad ingredients
- Veggies – I use a mix of iceberg lettuce, shredded red cabbage, julienned carrots, and edamame. You can easily swap Romaine, napa cabbage, green onions, or your favorite green salad mix.
- Chicken – I like to use poached chicken breast, but grilled or rotisserie chicken works, too. Just debone and then shred or cut into chunks.
- Crispy wonton strips – you can find packaged crispy wontons at the salad section of your local supermarket or you can make them at home! You can also use crunchy chow mein noodles which are also available at most grocery stores,
- Optional add-ins – feel free to add almond slivers for extra crunch or mandarin oranges for a fruity hint of flavor.
Asian sesame salad dressing
- You can use your favorite Asian salad dressing to save time or make it from scratch with simple pantry ingredients for the best taste.
- Whisk together rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar, and grated fresh ginger until well-blended. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- You can make it in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.